How to File an Objection to your Statement of Performance

This page explains how an Indian trust account holder may dispute the accuracy of their account balance in their Statement of Performance.  

Who can File an Objection? 

An Individual Indian Money (IIM) account holder, Tribal account holder, or their representative may file an Objection to their Statement of Performance. If a Tribe has entered into a settlement with the United States, and that settlement contains language concerning challenging a statement of performance, Tribal account holders should follow the language in the settlement agreement. 

What Information can be Challenged? 

If an account holder believes that the balance contained within their Statement of Performance is not accurate, they may file an Objection to the Statement of Performance (“Objection”) challenging it. A Statement of Performance means the document issued to each account holder, which contains specific information: 

  • Beginning Balance
  • Gains and Losses
  • Receipts and Disbursements
  • Ending Balance

The process outlined below is only for challenging the accuracy of the activity or account balances contained in the statement. If you want to challenge the lease or right-of-way that generated the proceeds or the restriction of an IIM account, please contact the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Additionally, this process is not for reporting a lost check or updating your mailing address.

When to Submit

An Objection must be submitted (post marked) within 60 calendar days* of the date of the statement you are challenging.

* You may request one 30-day extension to allow more time to submit an Objection. This request must be submitted within 60 calendar days of the statement date and must include your name, address, phone number, the date of the statement you intend to challenge, and your signature.

What to Include

Your Objection must be in writing, signed, and must include:

  • Your name, address, phone number, and email address (if you have one).
  • The statement date of the specific Statement of Performance you are challenging.
  • The Basis of Objection, which must contain:
    • A statement that details all the errors or omissions that you believe exist in the Statement of Performance, with as much explanatory detail as possible.
    • A statement describing the corrective action that you believe BTFA should take.
    • All information that you believe relates to the error(s) or omission(s) in the specific Statement of Performance.
  • A copy of the Statement of Performance you are challenging.

Incomplete submissions will not be considered.

How to Submit

Mail your Objection to:

U.S. Department of the Interior
Bureau of Trust Funds Administration
Attn: Director, Office of Trust Analysis and Research
1849 C Street NW
Washington, DC 20240

The envelope should be labeled “Notice of Objection.”

Next Steps

  1. We will confirm receipt of your complete Objection to the Statement of Performance by mailing a letter to the address you provide within ten calendar days.
  2. We will issue a decision within 30 calendar days of receipt of your Objection.
    • If the decision-maker agrees with your Objection, a correction will be made and reflected on your Statement of Performance.
    • If the decision-maker disagrees with your Objection, this will be explained in the decision and you will be provided information about your right to appeal the decision.

More Information

Was this page helpful?

Please provide a comment